Most of your questions I think they know how to sell. But most people are talking about having only 1 or 2 of 9 basic steps down. This is the reason for the closure is the percentage of 10-20%. If you want to get the percentage is closer to 50 or even 75%, it is a strategy that can help you sell more deals and make more money.
1. Make a Friend - selling is about relationships.
2. Find common ground - People have to want and work better when they have anything in common with you.
3. Ask intelligent questions - Remember you only need to have a conversation with someone and want to know about it. The best way to do this is to ask.
4. Dig deep - do not stop to question the level of the surface. If someone tells you where they want to go on vacation, ask How long will they go there? Truly understanding how to get what is important to them.
5. Listen - Not much to say here. 2 ears, 1 mouth, use them proportionately more ... You learn a lot about someone when they are allowed to speak.
6. Help them Visualize - Sell best when people can see the use of the product or service or benefit.
7. Get a commitment - There's nothing worse than having a big meeting with potential clients and then leave them hanging. You need to get a commitment for the next order, next Tuesday, or debit / credit today. TIP: Do not waste the first step 6.
8. Make them want to buy - I really hate to sell. I love to help people buy something, and people love to buy. This is important because not only the increased sales bring in more repeat business and referrals. We also eliminate buyer's remorse.
9. Ask for the money - This is probably the most difficult step for most sales people. Many people do not ask for money. I do not say crazy about it or act as a telemarketer (no offense to telemarketers), but at some point in the sales process, it should say: Does this happen to you or your credit card to pay with a check now? Doing this step alone is twice the rate of conversion.